Being outdoors for as little as 5 minutes has immediate benefits for yourself and for those you share it with. It is therefore crucial that everyone has opportunities to access the outdoors and engage with nature. Unfortunately for some people this can be limited for various reasons such as mobility issues, low confidence or a lack of transport.
Thanks to the Big Lottery Fund, Stepping into Nature, led by Dorset Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty team has grants available from £100 up to £2000. This funding will support 70% of the costs with the remaining 30% in kind or volunteer hours. Julie Hammon, Project Officer said “We would really like to see projects which make the natural environment accessible for all, create opportunities to learn new skills and reduce feelings of social isolation and loneliness in local communities”.
If you have a project that you would like to get funded, particularly in Dorchester, Bridport, Beaminster, Swanage, Lyme Regis, Chickerell or the immediate surrounding areas then we would like to hear from you.
For more information on the project, grant criteria and application form visit www.stepin2nature.org. You can also email email@example.com, or call Julie Hammon for an informal chat about your project on 01305 224785. Keep up to date by following us on Twitter and Facebook with @stepin2nature.
This Christmas you can really feast on the great delicacies that Dorset Food & Drink members have on offer. But once you've had your fill, you might want to get out and about in the Dorset countryside to blow the cobwebs away!
Dorset AONB’s contribution to tourism in the South West was recognised last week (Thursday 1 February) at the South West Tourism Awards 2017/18 when a special ‘Outstanding contribution to Tourism Award’ was given to the region’s protected landscapes (including Areas of Outstanding Natural Beauty, National Parks, the Jurassic Coast and the Southwest Coastpath).
Volunteers wanted to test out walks, rides and great views in the Dorset AONB! If you can spare a few hours and tell us what you think, we'll enter you into a special Hamper of the Month draw as a thank you
A fund totalling £1.7 million has been made available to help enhance the landscape around Wytch Farm oilfield in Purbeck. Officially launched on 18th January, the Wytch Farm Landscape and Access Enhancement Fund is now open for applications from individuals, groups and organisations.
Thinking of starting a local project to help older people in Dorset get active outdoors?
Local communities can now apply for funding for initiatives that will enhance health and wellbeing for older people, including those with dementia and their carers by helping them spend more time outdoors.
Join us for a fascinating expert wildlife talk – this is the first in a series of winter talks hosted by Back from the BrinkChris and Abby from Moths of Poole Harbour, a Birds of Poole Harbour Project, will give us an introduction to their work locally as well as some specific insight into heathland moth species.This event is free and hot drinks will be provided.
Join Back from the Brink and local Historian Ben Buxton on this guided walk looking at the historical features and the wildlife of Upton Heath.Join Back from the Brink and local Historian Ben Buxton on this guided walk looking at the historical features and the wildlife of Upton Heath.We’ll visit some historical sites, learn about how the heath has been used over the years including clay extraction, and consider the heathlandmanagement and wildlife.The walk includes some steep sections, and great views over Poole.Bring binoculars if you have them.It’s FREE! – Booking essential.